Waste collections - information and what goes in what bin...
Green recycle bin
• All paper and cardboard
• books - only if not suitable for taking to a charity shop and catalogues
• phone directories (including the Yellow Pages)
• cereal boxes
• corrugated cardboard
• envelopes (including envelopes with windows) and greeting cards
• junk mail
• magazines and newspapers
• shredded paper (loose)
• tissue boxes
• toilet roll tubes
• writing paper
• Mixed glass bottles and jars - any colour (and bottle tops, but please separate them)
• plastic or carrier bags (except black bags)
• detergent bottles and drinks bottles (and tops)
• food and drink cartons (Tetra Paks)
• food trays and general plastic packaging and ice cream tubs
• margarine tubs
• plastic milk cartons and bottles
• shampoo bottles
• yoghurt pots
• clean foil and food tins
• steel and aluminium food and drink cans (please wash and squash them first)
• metal lids (bottle and jar lids)
• You can put extra recycling out for collection next to your bin in clear sacks
• meat and fish - raw and cooked including bones
• all dairy products such as cheese and eggs
• raw and cooked vegetables and fruit
• bread, cakes and pastries
• rice, pasta and beans
• uneaten food from your plates and dishes
• tea bags and coffee grounds
• cooking oil, lard and fats (do not put cooking oil in plastic containers)
• old flowers
Grey Bin (non recycle items)
• cling film
• crisp packets
• sanitary products and nappies
• cat litter
• VHS tapes/cassettes
• Do not leave extra bags of waste by the side of your grey bins as these will not be collected
If your bin has gone missing and you need a replacement, please call 03000 610 610 (local call rate) or email email@example.com. Please note that BIFFA are unable to replace the small kitchen caddy that accompanies your food waste bin. These are available to purchase from high street hardware stores.
How to order a garden waste bin
A 240 litre garden waste wheeled bin costs only £34 per year. The best way to order your bin is online. If you have difficulty with this you can call BIFFA by telephone – 01749 341247. Payment for this service is by paperless direct debit only. It is an annual subscription and payment will be taken once a year. You will receive a yearly invoice to notify you when and how much will be collected from your account.
To use this service please ensure you meet the following criteria:
• You have wheeled bins for your other waste
• You do not require an assisted collection
• You do not already have the service and want an additional bin
• You do not already have a garden waste bin at your property
• You have not received a letter from Exchequer Services regarding failure of payment
• You have not received a letter from Exchequer Services regarding failure of direct debit
If you do not meet the above criteria, please telephone the garden waste team on 01749 341247.
Bulky household waste
If you have bulky furniture or appliances that you no longer want, BIFFA will collect them from you and dispose of them for a small charge. Examples of what is collected:
• furniture (such as sofas, chairs and tables)
• washing machines
• fridge and freezers*
*You must clean and empty fridges and freezers of all food before BIFFA collect them.
The minimum charge is £22 for up to 3 items and £6.90 for each additional item. There is a maximum of six items per collection day: if you have more than six, you'll need to book another collection day. Please note that a bed and mattress counts as 2 items and a three piece suite (consisting of 1 settee and 2 chairs) counts as 3 items.
Payments by credit card are subject to a 1.36% surcharge.
Before you contact BIFFA to book your bulky waste collection, have a good think about whether you have any other big items to dispose of. Once BIFFA have processed your booking, BIFFA are unable to make any alterations or add any other items – even if you have only booked one or two items.
How to book your collection: You can still pay by debit/credit card, over the phone or by cheque/postal order made payable to South Oxfordshire District Council. You need to write your address and the job number BIFFA give you, on the back of the cheque and send it to:
Bulky Waste Collection, Waste Team, Benson Lane, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, OX10 8ED
Collection day: When you book, you will be given a number of collection days to choose from. You must leave all items for collection outside, within the grounds of your property, for collection any time after 7am.
For further information on this service, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01235 547640
If you have difficulties putting out your rubbish and recycling collection due to a disability, illness or infirmity, and there is no one else to put it out, BIFFA may be able to provide an assisted collection.
Please call 01235 547640 to arrange for a council officer to visit you and carry out an assessment.
Back to News